After paying off my 2019 Subaru Crosstrek in 24.5 months (predicted this back in January) and finding a new job this year, I decided that 2020 is over. My themes for 2020 were SLOW and CREATE. I wanted to live more slowly, to give myself space to relax and be, and opt out of the rat race. I also wanted to create blog content and create a job I really enjoyed. After many job interviews, I landed the perfect job for today’s BMM.
Personally my 2020 theme is SLOW. I want to live a slower, more intentional life with less insanity. Professionally my theme is to CREATE. I want to CREATE great content on this blog…, CREATE professionally opportunities for myself to expand, and CREATE educational sessions.
–Beautiful Minimal Millennial, 1/7/2020
We all experienced SLOW in 2020. Maybe it was less on your schedule. Less on your to-do list. But I think we all had to take a step back to decide what was really important to each and every one of us. I know I did. Then I feel like we all experienced a theme of CREATE when we needed to create a new life within 2020. We CREATED new places to work, learn, and live. Since I’m ready to say goodbye to 2020 let me present to you my 2021 theme.
My 2021 theme will be….
FREE things: I will look to source free items rather than purchasing new as much as possible (thank you to the zero waste movement for the nudge). If I need to make a purchase, it will come from a thrift or consignment store. I want to break free from the online shopping for things that I could otherwise secure from a local thrift or consignment store. Sorry online stores, I will only be buying food from you.
FREE social life: I will continue to look for free events or free things to do such as hikes, walks, bicycle/motorcycle rides, and outdoor activities with Mr. BMM and friends. I want to become a tourist in my own area as well as continue to support my third no spend year in a row (more details below).
FREEdom from negative people: After 37 years of experiencing repeated trauma from biological family, I decided that they no longer have a place in my mind or life. Mr. BMM also agrees that I live my best self and life when I’m not dealing with repeated trauma from biological family. In addition to biological family, I’m ditching the negative people. It’s one thing to have a bad day or go through a rough patch, it’s a whole other thing to be negative and toxic. One thing that 2020 has taught me is that life is way to short to deal with that crap.
My goal for 2021 is huge. I decided my goal for 2021 during a recent run. I swear those endorphins and fresh air make any mountain seem like a tenny-tiny little hill! And then reality sets in about an hour after the run. And then I spend another hour looking at my budget a hundred different ways to see how I can make my 2021 goal happen.
- No Spend 2021: Not shopping will be critical in supporting my major financial goal in 2021. I’m giving myself the permission to by food, clothing that needs to be replaced, and pay for shelter related items. My 2021 GOAL is so huge I’m nervous but I know that I need to put this out in the universe.
What is going to happen in 2021?
- Going to continue my no shopping ban. At this point it’s become second nature not to shop unless absolutely necessary. This no shopping thing is also wearing off on Mr. BMM. He has big goals too!
- Credit card will not be used except for pre-planned expenses that are charged to the card to keep them active. The cards will be paid off each month. Pre-booking a vacation is the only other time credit cards will be used.
- The same essential, approved, and non-essential list concept continues from the prior two years.
- Essential List:
- Gifts for others
- Training sessions and gym membership
- Approved Shopping List:
- Replacement running shoes
- Purchase anything that must be replaced, but the original item must be discarded
- One yoga event
- Family adventures
- Brad Thor annual book
- Non-Essential List
- Books… go to the library
- Cosmetics… the reality is that I don’t wear make up to work anymore
- Magazines… read them quick while in line at the grocery store
- Yoga classes… doing yoga at home works just as fine
- Manicures and pedicures… I really don’t like the way other people do it. I just like the foot massage.
- Brooklyn Public Library annual membership… No need to pay for a library membership unless it’s for a local library. So far no local libraries charge.
- Amazon Prime… holy crap is the no spend a heck of a lot easier since I quit Prime
- Peppermint, lavender, or orange essential oils
All of these steps are going to support my HUGE 2021 goal. What’s funny is that some of these non-essential things were at one point approved. I guess as you start to strip away the layers you really see what is important.
Without further ado, I present to you my 2021 goal…
2021 will be the year I SAVE $21,000!
Saving $21,000 sounds like an unbelievably scary goal. But you have to reach high to achieve great things, right? That doesn’t mean I’m not scared. It just means that the badass in me will work very hard to achieve this goal, if not exceed this goal.
Here is what doesn’t go towards the $21,000:
- Roth IRA contributions
- Money market contributions less $50/month
- High Yield Savings account contributions less than $10/month
What does that all mean? I can’t count the money I’ve been saving towards my new savings goal. I have to really step it up, live more frugally, and SAVE money if I want to achieve this goal. Why am I taking time off from paying extra on debt? Well I would like to build up a savings in order to take a mini and/or early full/partial retirement. Being debt free is still crucial in my retirement goals, but I cannot overlook compound interest over time.
What happens if I exceed $21,000? I will either save more or put the excess against my student loan debt. Honestly, I’m not exactly sure. Both options are great options and are actually both correct.
Check back later as I explain my method of saving, investing, and working towards retirement.
What are you goals for 2021? If you could accomplish one thing, what would it be? Leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you!