A little while ago I wrote about my summer meal planning that involves one single rule. No OVEN! Rather that using the oven and heating up the house, I use the crock pot, grill, and smoothie or juice maker for all of our meals and snacks. This will be my second summer in a row following this rule. Since I am all about annual themes, I decided this week to make this summer the Summer of Burgers and have a summer theme. 2020 seems to be a bust for anything fun. Rather than looking for fun outside our house, I’m bringing the fun to us!
It all started last weekend when we spent a little extra time with friends in the woods and came home with hungry bellies and no food pre-cooked. Mr. BMM suggested that we make burgers. We had no buns but we had frozen burgers. In a matter of 10 minutes we had homemade burger buns and burgers on our plates. It was total bliss. This week while meal prepping from our kitchen I pulled out a pound of ground turkey. And that is how the Summer of Burgers started.
Here is a quick list of rules:
- There are no rules!
- Well ok maybe there are some rules. Burgers happen at least once a week.
- Burgers can be made from meat, beans, or mushrooms.
- Burgers must be on a bun of either lettuce, homemade, or store bought kind.
- No one burger style can repeat two weeks in a row.
Last week we did the classic American Burger that was a beef burger topped with cheese. It was basic and quick. This week we are doing a turkey burger topped with cheese and a fried egg on a homemade burger bun.
Homemade burger buns (gluten, corn, dairy free; Keto, Paleo):
- Spray a small bowl with cooking spray
- Add 1/3 c. almond flower, 1 egg, 2 tbsp of avocado oil, 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/8 tsp baking soda to the bowl and mix.
- Microwave for 90 seconds.
- Pop bun out of the bowl and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and prep like a usual bun (i.e. toast, grill, add mayo, etc.)
What other burger combinations could you come up with? We have about 10 weeks left of summer so let’s make this the Summer of Burgers!