Apparently I’m about a year behind the celery juice trend. I remember when capris pants came out and it took me about a year to embrace the capris yoga pants. Then there was the bangs tied up in the front of your head thing. I was late to that party too. I have a history of hating trends until it lasts a little bit. Maybe it’s why this whole minimalist thing, while trendy, it lets me march to the beat of my own drum. It’s probably a good thing that my unofficial work uniform is a black dress.
Back to the celery juice thing. A couple years ago I had an IUD. This IUD all of a sudden caused my legs to swell and officially gave me the diagnosis of high blood pressure (yes I was predisposed but my health/diet is on point not to get it). I have since had the IUD removed even though most gynecologists still claim it’s safe. Whatever. I’m siding with my cardiologist on this one. I would love nothing more than to stop taking blood pressure medicine. But right now it is not safe. Instead I finally committed to drinking celery juice most days.
What difference have I seen? First, I usually retain water in the summer with the humidity. That appears to be decreasing as I drink celery juice. I weigh myself daily so that I can monitor my water weight. I figure if I keep a consistent diet and workout schedule any change in weight is most likely due to water retention. I am certainly not a doctor but is seems reasonable to me. Second, my digestive system is working perfectly. Food goes in and things come out on a regular basis. Third, I am experiencing less acid reflex. One article I found supports my personal findings.
- Celery Juice heals and activates the gut by restoring hydrochloric acid which helps us digest things faster and more efficiently. Celery juice helps raise stomach acid, which is necessary to help break down food, especially protein. Especially good for those on a high protein diet. If our stomach acid is low, the body has to use more resources to digest that food, often leaving us feeling tired and lethargic. Celery juice has the ability to significantly replenish depleted levels of gastric mucus that is needed in the stomach lining to heal and prevent ulcers and acid reflux.
- Celery Juice lowers cholesterol. Celery contains a compound called 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh) that has been reported to have lipid-lowering action, reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) in our bloodstream.
- Celery Juice is a natural anti-inflammatory. It contains Polyacetylene which reduces chronic joint pain, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis. Not only does it soothe the body, but it is also believed to soothe the nerves, with calming and relaxing properties.
- Celery Juice lowers blood pressure. Research shows that celery helps lower high blood pressure by acting as a smooth muscle relaxant, improving the flow of calcium and potassium in cells, allowing blood vessels to expand and contract with greater ease.
- Celery juice aids the Liver. Studies show that celery helps reduce fat build-up in the liver. The nutrients in celery protect the liver, and actually help the liver produce enzymes that help flush fat and toxins out.
- Celery juice improves digestion by increasing circulation in the intestines, getting things going and moving. It’s good for constipation, bloating, puffiness and water retention, acting as a gentle, mild, natural laxative and diuretic.
- Celery Juice fights infection. Research shows that compounds found in celery contain powerful antimicrobial properties that fight infections and naturally boost immunity. Celery juice reduces uric acid and stimulates urine production, especially useful in fighting bacterial infections within the digestive tract and reproductive organs, helping prevent UTIs, bladder and kidney disorders.
- Celery Juice contains powerful anti-oxidants and cancer-fighting compounds. Celery contains a flavonoid called apigenin, which has been shown to kill cancer cells. The polyacetylenes in celery interestingly contain chemo-protective compounds that help to reduce toxicity while boosting immunity and help slow the growth of mutated cells.
- Celery Juice is alkalizing. Actually celery is one of the most alkaline foods you can eat! Research suggests that an alkaline diet lengthens life and prevents chronic diseases.
- Celery juice is highly nutritious. Celery is loaded with essential minerals and vitamins such as folate, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin K and vitamin C. A cocktail for the skin. The luteolin in celery protects skin from the inside and prevents UV-induced damage. Some swear by celery’s skin healing properties, saying that it helped clear up skin conditions like psoriasis and acne.
When I first started juicing celery last week, my first glass tasted SALTY. Which is usually what you don’t want when you are retaining water. HOWEVER, my weight dropped about a pound overnight. Ever since I started drinking celery juice most days I lost about 3 pounds in 10 days. Now I’m not saying that celery juice will make you lose weight, but it did help me lose water weight. And when your legs, feet, and hands use to swell and now they don’t I think I’m on to something with the celery juice.
Most days I drink about 4 ounces of celery juice plus about 16 ounces of Orange Goddess juice. Will I be able to stop my blood pressure medicines? Maybe. Maybe not. But I feel AMAZING! I will continue with drinking my juices most days.