I love to cook. My one grandfather really sparked my interest in cooking. He would have me over to teach me how to make different recipes. Such a beautiful memory. I actually have his crock pot and a recipe book. I love using them both as a sweet reminder of an awesome man. If I am going to be honest though I hate to put the oven on in the summer. Last year I took on the challenge of preparing all of our our meals via a crockpot or countertop grill.
Today I wanted to share with you some of last summer’s hits and some new recipes I found so far.
- Crock Pot (aka Slow Cooker):
- Sweet potatoes: Wash the potatoes as usual, place in the crock pot, bake on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3.5-4 hours.
- Marinara chicken: Dump in a jar of sauce, a teaspoon or two of Italian seasoning, mix in some chicken and cook on HIGH for 2-4 hours.
- Pulled pork: Place a 1-pound pork butt roast with the fat side down, sprinkle cumin, garlic, and smoked paprika over the top, drizzle with 1/2 lime juice, and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Marinated chicken: My favorite marinade is homemade honey mustard. Start with about 1/2 cup of honey, add about 1 tbsp each of apple cider vinegar and avocado oil, add about 1/3 cup of mustard powder, add about 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder and smoked paprika. Stir and marinade.
- Fresh Pressed Juice:
- Orange Goddess: Juice 1/2 grape fruit, about 4 oranges, about 3 carrots, and a smidgen of ginger.
- Celery: Juice a couple stalks of celery.
- Fruit Smoothie:
- Blueberry: About 10 ounces of orange juice, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and an ounce or two of water. Add some salad greens if you feel adventurous.