Part of cutting back on the unrealistic and insane cleaning narratives, a door opened for me to spend time giving myself some much-needed self-care. While attempting to give myself self-care during my second no-spend year could be challenging, I came up with 5 frugal and some free ideas. Just like Jonathan Fields described in his How to Live a Good Life book how we have to balance the our own personal “Good Life Buckets,” we cannot forget to love and take care of ourselves. Remember, put on your own mask first, and then help your neighbor.
What is one thing you would add to this list?
Frugal Self-Care Ideas:
- Sleep. Literally go to bed on time. Go all nostalgic on yourself and give your self a bedtime. Studies show that we adults need between 7 and 9 hours yet often we claim that we only need 4 or 5. Research shows that there is a very small pocket of humans that only do need 4 to 5 hours of sleep, you my friend probably are not one of them. Give yourself a bed time and get some sleep.
- Do an at home facial or manicure/pedicure. Do not wait until your nails look half chewed up to do your nails. I started giving myself a manicure twice a week. It gives me a little extra boost of energy when I look down at my nails and see nice polish instead of cracked cuticles. Each manicure takes about 10 minutes.
- Go for a walk sans cell phone (or at least sounds offs and not scrolling). Each time I go for a puppy family walk, I notice a different house or new business. It is such a great time to relax, burn some calories, and disconnect from the buzz, ding, and ring of modern technology.
- Cook yourself a fancy dinner. You define fancy. Maybe you just want to eat a meal freshly made rather than reheated from your weekly meal prep. Or maybe you are just totally craving some good old fashion mac and cheese. You do you but make yourself a fancy dinner.
- Do something you enjoyed doing as a kid. I loved doing arts and crafts, going for hikes in the woods, and reading. Find something that you enjoyed doing as a kid. Be nostalgic. I bet there is an app for the old school Tetris! You know you want to test your skills!